Monday, December 6, 2010

Saying Goodbye

We were faced with a difficult decision recently...
About a month ago, on Nov. 9, we decided to say goodbye to Hershey.  It was honestly one of the toughest decisions I've ever had to make.  He was the BEST dog a person (family) could ask for.  I often tell Jeff, Hershey was before you were, as I had Hershey for two years before I met Jeff.  As my sister pointed out...he was the family dog.  She lived with Jeff and I for a year and she felt as if he was hers also.  He was 13 1/2 years old and I had him for 11 1/2 of those years.  He moved into my first house with me.  Since then, he's been with us through two moves, through several other animals and now two children.  However, in the last couple of years, we've watched his health deteriorate.  He had trouble breathing, had developed a cough, and his hips were failing, as he had trouble going up and down the stairs in our house.  He just didn't seem happy anymore. 
Hershey was my best bud, but even more so, he was Addyson's best friend.  She loved him so much...the first time she ever laughed...really laughed, was at Hershey.  The day we came home without him, she said, "Hershey, oh no Hershey", as if she knew he something was wrong.  It broke our hearts. 
I know it might seem crazy to go on and on about a dog, but he was a member of our family.  We have only the fondest memories of our old pal.  I wanted to share some pics (we have hundreds) of him over the recent years (most of the old ones are not digital).
Goodbye Hershey...we love you.

Hershey's first time in the snow...


 Addy and Hershey getting to know one another...


No comments:

Post a Comment